Don’t. That’s my advice. Unlike eggs in the shell (shelled eggs), liquid egg whites are an egg product that has eggs that have been opened from their protective shell and pasteurized. They are ONLY good until the expiration date.
Don’t believe me? Here’s your friends at Egg Beaters:
And the USDA:
Safe Handling and Storage of Egg Products
Safe handling and storage is necessary for all egg products to prevent bacterial contamination. Here are recommendations from USDA:
- For best quality, store frozen egg products up to one year. Check to be sure your freezer is set at 0 °F or lower. After thawing, do not refreeze.
- Thaw frozen egg products in the refrigerator or under cold running water. DO NOT THAW ON THE COUNTER.
- If the container for liquid products bears a “use-by” date, observe it. Follow the storage and handling instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- For liquid products without an expiration date, store unopened containers at 40 °F or below for up to 7 days (not to exceed 3 days after opening). Do not freeze opened cartons of liquid egg products.
- Unopened dried egg products and egg white solids can be stored at room temperature as long as they are kept cool and dry. After opening, store in the refrigerator.
- Reconstituted egg products should be used immediately or refrigerated and used that day.
- USDA Commodity Dried Egg Mix should be stored at less than 50 °F, preferably in the refrigerator (at 40 °F or below). After opening, use within 7 to 10 days. Reconstitute only the amount needed at one time. Use reconstituted egg mix immediately or refrigerate and use within 1 hour.
Even more info about eggs. Because I’m nuts.
Erin McKenna’s Bakery
A splurge, but delicious. Ask for ingredient list if you have FODMAP issues, because there is a lot of agave syrup in some items. The good news is that you can look up the ingredients beforehand. I wish this place had a public bathroom or we would have stayed for the coffee or tea. They also have vegan soft serve with optional gluten free cone. The atmosphere is very friendly (a discussion about Wow Airlines eventually involved the lady behind the counter, the gent talking about it, us, and a couple of bystanders) and there is a lot of foot traffic. Refrigerate within 1.5 hours of leaving and keep the stuff there to retain the freshness. (Unlike other baked goods, which tend to stale from being tossed into the fridge). Also in New York and Orlando.
- Gluten Free, Vegan & Kosher
- 236 North Larchmont Blvd,
- Los Angeles, CA 90004
11275 Chandler Blvd.,
North Hollywood, CA 91601
Hours: Mon – Sun: 6:00 am – 8:00 pm
Kitchen Hours: Mon – Sun: 6:00 am – 5:00 pm
Contact: (818) 423-2626 | email@example.com
Oh, and if you buy a bag of coffee or a box of whole leaf tea, you get a free drink with that. The atmosphere is hipster-rich and completely friendly; includes gluten-free options like chocolate chip cookies and some iffy looking gluten-free granola bars. Plugs for devices abound, and people sit with complete strangers often when the seat across from some lady or chap happens to be open.
Parking on the weekend is best about a block away near the park (across from the fire station) — free on Sundays. Don’t park in the Metro lot unless you have a Tap card and feel like spending $3. If you take the Orange line, it’s RIGHT THERE before you have to run down the stairs to catch your train to Hollywood or downtown. Let everyone else run and take a minute to catch some liquid joy.
Order first while pondering the beauty (and I’m not just talking about that mustache). Also, get the baked goods for later first. You’ll see later why (spoiler: long lines!)
Buckwheat pancakes with coconut! Blackberries! You won’t need to eat for the rest of the day! Seriously.
Kitchen Mouse (gluten free)
Monday – Friday • 8am – 4pm
Saturday & Sunday • 7am – 4pm
5904 N. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90042 • MAP
Mr. Holmes. Looks too fancy for you and me, but they’re NICE NICE NICE inside!!
Mr. Holmes Bakehouse (not gluten free)
101 S AVE 59
LOS ANGELES, CA, UNITED STATES
7AM – 2:30PM WEEKDAYS / 8AM – 3:00PM WEEKENDS
Everyday – 11am – 7pm
5028 York Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90042 USA
Gluten free cake with tea? Yes please. Really good creamy with chocolate gluten free cake? Thanks very much indeed. I’m sure they have food too, like I think the vegetarian meatballs are gluten free… But I was a bit preoccupied.
We made a gluten-free chocolate cake using the Simple Truth gluten-free mix and homemade coffee buttercream frosting before piling on the M&Ms.
Happy birthday, America!
We’re enjoying the day off. And barbeque. And cake.
Hope you’re having a great day wherever you are.
This gluten-free blueberry coffee cake recipe is so outstanding, with fresh berries and a cup of tea, it totally made my day.
Here’s the recipe and thanks so much to the author.
The recipe is perfect with the exception that you will need to allow for a very long baking time more on the order of an hour and 10 minutes or so. But the top is buttery and the inside has a texture you rarely find in a gluten-free cake. I used Trader Joe’s gluten free baking flour and added xanthan gum. I also mixed the flower with the xanthan gum all together and then divided it for the crumb topping.