What happens when I have a child in the bath and I’m still thinking of what to whip up for dinner? This is what happens: soup. Our child loves soup, so on this night, when we were eating something she wouldn’t touch (Spanakopita; is she nuts? Her loss.) I whipped this up while she threw on some jammies. Soup for one:
- Broth (we buy a carton for $1.99 at Trader Joes – chicken or veggie — we use veggie. The following night/day it can be used to make some really excellent rice when it’s the cooking water, or cooking water for vegetables. Adds flavor without much salt.
- Rotelle (spiral) pasta – always good to keep on hand.
- baby carrots
- frozen broccoli — just take out what you need
- ditto the frozen, sweet corn
- beans from a can, or leftover homemade, which was the case here
Microwave the broth with the rotelle pasta and carrots for 5 minutes. Toss in the broccoli and corn, microwave for another 4 minutes. Toss in the beans, 1 more minute. Done!
Add a little bread and butter on the side and you’re good to go without having tons of soup left over.