In L.A., at least, you’ve got your kids for the next entire week because of Thanksgiving week and no money in the county coffers. They’ll be sick of sandwiches by Tuesday. It’s not brain surgery, nor is this the first time any parent hasn’t heard about making little pizzas using English muffins. But the 9-year-old suggested it for her lunch on this rainy day, and she was so proud she made it herself I thought I would leave a few tips for parents (and um, college students… and um…). If this will keep you from buying those abhorrent Lunchables pizzas, my work here is done.
In case you’re new to this idea, you will need:
- 1 oz of cheese (we use Trader Joe’s Monterey Jack Cheese Snack Sticks — they are individually wrapped so they last longer, and a child can unwrap just the right amount)
- 1 plastic knife, ours are from Ikea. This is how your kid gets to keep all of his/her fingers.
- 1 jar of tomato sauce (see below for what to do with leftovers)
- 1 English Muffin (we keep ours in the freezer)
- Baking sheet, or in our case, little baking sheet for Toaster Oven, lined with aluminum foil to make my life easier